Republicans are showing all the signs of mental illness.
Conservatives got everything in 2016. The White House, Senate, Congress, governorships and statehouses. And messed everything up to the point where they were booted out of office in 2020.
Right-wing conservatives we’re sent packing with their tails between their legs. That’s what happened. That’s a fact.
And how did they respond? They laid out a string of lies about voter fraud and lashed out by storming the United States Capitol and killing innocent people. That’s what happened. That’s a fact.
Now they’re blocking any attempt to investigate the insurrection on the grounds that it was all some sort of deep state left-wing false flag insider job. Without realising they were still in power at the time. The riots, killings and attacks on democracy happened on their watch. Such cognitive dissonance is staggering.
It’s difficult to know where pandering to the conservative base ends and mental illness begins. Most modern right-wing conservatives are mentally ill. They’re suffering severe and mounting PTSD from a self-created lack of dignity, respect and relevance.
Signs and symptoms of mental illness vary depending on the disorder, circumstances and other factors. Mental illness symptoms affect emotions, thoughts and behaviours.
According to the Mayo Clinic, signs and symptoms of mental illness include the following.
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.
- Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations.
- Inability to cope with daily problems or stress.
- Trouble understanding and relating to situations and to people.
- Problems with alcohol or drug use.
- Excessive anger, hostility or violence.
This is right-wing conservatives current frame of mind. This is the Republican Party in a nutshell. This is the problem that democracy faces.
It’s only once we recognise what the real problem is can we hope to alleviate it.